Below are a few projects I have worked on showcasing my ability to find creative, effective designs to solve a variety of problems. Specifically showcased are my skills in design, CAD, and rendering of prototypes.
For this project, I was tasked with creating a mounting bracket for a router spindle. Within the given design space my goal was to minimize deflection.
In order to develop an efficient solution, I used topology optimization through nTop to solve for the Z-Axis loading case.
Based on the topology optimization results the bracket required maximization of strength at the boundaries, in order to maximize torsional rigidity.
To validate the bracket, I ran FEA in NX to determine the maximum deflection under each load case.
EV Powertrain Model
In 2022, Northwestern Formula Racing transitioned from an IC powertrain to EV. In order to enable this transition, I built a power model of our new powertrain.
Based on published data for our batteries, inverter, and motor I constructed datasets for key characteristics. Using Matlab I fit curves to the data in order to derive equations for each characteristic.
To obtain data from a "real" driving environment, I simulated the vehicle over a full endurance run, as it would see at competition, using OptimumLap.
Using Excel, I combined the simulation data and characterization data to create a model which predicted voltage, current, power, and heat generation for the accumulator, inverter, and motor.
In order to enable a new product rollout, I was tasked with creating Go-No Go gauges for a number of turbocharger compressor wheels.
With lacking manufacturer drawings, I began by collecting measurements of the wheels using an optical comparator. Using these measurements I built a CAD model for each wheel.
To test the designs, I used a resin 3D printer to create prototypes. Achieving .1mm tolerances through 3D printing required precise settings and calibration.
The final part was machined from A2 tool steel and deployed to the manufacturing line.
Working with doctors from the Shirley Ryan Ability Lab, I worked with a team to develop a spinal cord model enabling better patient education.
Using FEA, 3D scanning, and additive manufacturing, I was able to develop a more ergonomic wheel for NU's formula team while achieving 30% weight savings.
In order to speed repeated testing of position sensors, I designed an automated testing rig assembly in Solidworks as well as an electronics schematic.
Starting from scratch, I developed a base map and did all tuning for Northwestern Formula Racing's Yamaha R6 engine on a MoTeC M130 ECU. This lead to a 15% increase in our acceleration score.